CageCovers™ Care & Cleaning
One of the best ways to keep CageCovers™ fabrics looking good is to hose fabrics off on a monthly basis with clear water. This helps prevent dirt from becoming deeply embedded in the fabric and eliminates the need for more frequent vigorous cleaning. In most environments, a thorough cleaning will be needed every two to three years.
General or Light Cleaning
To clean CageCovers™ while still on a Jeep, follow these simple steps:
- Brush off loose dirt.
- Hose down.
- Prepare a cleaning solution of water and mild soap such as Woolite or Dawn dishwashing liquid.
- Use a soft bristle brush to clean.
- Allow cleaning solution to soak into the fabric.
- Rinse thoroughly until all soap residue is removed.
- Air dry.
- May not require re-treatment depending on the age of the fabric.
If stubborn stains persist, you can use a diluted bleach/soap mixture for spot cleaning of mildew. For roof run-off or other similar stains a strong degreaser may be required (see our Stain Chart for specific recommendations).
Heavy Cleaning for Stubborn Stains and Mildew
CageCovers™ fabrics do not promote mildew growth, however, mildew may grow on dirt and other foreign substances that are not removed from the fabric.
To clean stubborn stains:
- Prepare a solution of 1 cup bleach and 1/4 cup of mild soap per gallon of clean water.
- Soak affected area in solution for 15 minutes.
- Blot stain with a sponge or clean towel.
- Rinse thoroughly to remove all soap residue.
- Air dry.
Re-treating the Fabric:
As part of the finishing process, CageCovers™ fabrics are treated with a fluorocarbon finish, which enhances water repellency. This finish is designed to last for several years, but must be replenished after a thorough cleaning. Based on test results, CageCovers™ recommends 303™ Fabric Guard™ as the preferred re-treatment product for CageCovers™ fabrics. Fabrics should be re-treated after thorough cleaning or as needed.
For more information on re-treatment products, please visit www.303products.com.
Applying 303 Fabric Guard:
303 should be applied to CageCovers™ fabrics after each thorough cleaning, which typically removes the original finish and reduces the fabric’s water repellency.
- Clean CageCovers™ fabric, using one of the cleaning methods.
- Allow CageCovers™ to completely air dry.
- Apply 303 Fabric Guard in a well ventilated area following instructions on the container.
- Apply 303 in a thin, even coat and allow fabric to dry completely.
- Apply a second thin, even coating of 303. (Two light coatings are more effective in restoring fabric water resistance than a single heavy coating.)
Note: A 16-ounce bottle provides ample coverage of any CageCover™ set.
For more information, please visit www.303products.com.
Additional Cleaning Instructions
You may have access to professional cleaning firms. In evaluating the services of a professional firm, you should inquire about a firm’s experience in working with acrylic based fabrics and knowledge of cleaning and re-treatment requirements.